Risks from the News
A lot happens in between newsletters—don’t miss our coverage of these trending topics.
Daily events around the globe have the potential to impact the commercial insurance industry and its many stakeholders.
Here are four news-making topics that you should know about this week:
- Storms and Hurricanes: With Tropical Storm Fred recently making landfall in Florida and a new Tropical Depression, Grace, forming in the Atlantic, it’s time to consider new technologies that may have the power to mitigate losses going forward. Check out these unique new ideas in The Hurricane Helper.
- Global Vaccinations: U.S. leaders recently delivered an open letter to President Biden asking for the United States to demonstrate decisive leadership in the global distribution of COVID-19 vaccines. We spoke with Lloyd’s on insurance vaccine distribution in The Last Mile.
- War History: The current events in Afghanistan are on everyone’s minds. As war rages on in some parts of the world, we covered some of the history and requirements of the “war coverage” insurance policy. Read The Evolution of War.
- Restaurant Earnings: During the past few weeks, public U.S. companies reported Q2 earnings. We specifically focused on food delivery as Uber (with Uber Eats) and Door Dash showed mixed results with restaurants reopening for Spring. Can the restaurant scene change once again? Are you ready for Restaurants of the Future?
The Latest in Broker M&A
Looking for recent M&A action? Here are the latest deals from our industry Ticker!
- Hub International acquired the Kansas-based trade broker Dissinger Reed, which provides insurance to more than 200 colleges and universities, 27 state high school associations across the U.S., and the National Federation of State High School Associations (August 16)
- Arthur J. Gallagher inked an agreement to buy Willis Re—the reinsurance brokerage operations of Willis Towers Watson—for $3.25 billion in cash (August 13)
- Brown & Brown of Florida, a subsidiary of Brown & Brown, acquired all the assets of Sudler Insurance Services, which offers employee benefits products and services to customers throughout Florida, Michigan and South Carolina (August 13)
- NFP announced its acquisition of Dublin-based Aiken Insurances, a retail and commercial insurance broker in Ireland’s specialist sectors (August 2)